The nature of costume hire is changing.
These days costumes are cheaply made available, spewed out of factories in their thousands packaged in plastic and sent all over the world for the unfussy masses. These costumes are worn once, and then thrown into garbage destined for landfill, because quite frankly, they are generally not worth keeping. Sometimes the back is incomplete, or they ladder in the first half hour of wear. Or they are simply ill fitting and not particularly flattering.
This type of costume appeals to those who plan to get messy, and choose not to take on a burden of care. They don’t want to have to keep track of each piece and then return the whole thing a few days later.
Some people can’t afford to risk the bond and thats fine too.
Once upon a time people used to line up for service to get dressed up for their next weekend fancy dress event. Now days people are internet savvy, ordering on-line weeks in advance choosing from the plethora of costumes available in every theme and colour. Costume shops are becoming distributors of these packets, and no longer so much custom making a higher quality product for those who appreciate a better quality. Costume stores are closing down all over the place, and my business has become predominantly custom making for events, performances and special occasions.
Any time someone says ‘Why would I pay that, when I can pay the same for a packet costume and keep it?” I want to say “because, trust me, you wont keep it.” it’s usually a rhetorical question, offered without considering there might actually be a good answer to that.
Why hire a costume when I can pay the same for a packet costume and keep it?
I’m glad you asked.
It really depends on the party, and who you want to be while you’re at the party. How do you want to present yourself, and what kind of experience are you after?
Costumes have the ability to help create an experience for you and for others. The weight, the style, the colours, the cut, it all makes a difference to how you’ll feel, how you’ll express yourself and how people respond to you.
Costumes are a great way to experience different ways of being. Sometimes we relate to other eras or styles with surprising enthusiasm and gusto, and we don’t even know until we’ve tried it on.
I say “Why pay for a packet costume worth half of what you paid, when you can pay the same amount to wear a costume worth many times more?” it’s up to you and the experience you’re aiming for.
reasons to hire a costume
1. The quality is worth a lot more than you pay. Sure you offer a security bond, but you get that back as long as you look after the costume.
2. You feel more confidant in a higher quality garment and can make a better impression at your event.
3. It’s a lot cheaper than running around town trying to piece together the theme buying all the pieces and accessories you need.
4. Hire includes a personal professional costume stylist.
5. You support a small business – who in turn supports fabric shops, laundromats and dry cleaners
6. It’s a more sustainable practice that contributes less to landfill.
reasons to purchase a cheap packet costume
1. you don’t have to keep track of it, or worry about cigarette burns, or losing your bond
2. you don’t have to find time later to return it
3. It’s yours. You can keep it. (although you probably wont)
Cantact Agent Costume if you are interested in looking at the stock or requiring a quote for a custom made costume. It’s best to make an appointment in case we are out materials sourcing.